For a regularly updated resume, please visit my Linkedin profile.
David S. Levin
Multimedia Science Journalism
Reporting, writing, editing, digital photography, audio and video production. Multimedia software including Pro Tools, Soundslides, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Photoshop. Familiar with WordPress, HTML 4, Movable Type, Django CMS.
David Levin Editorial, Boston, MA
Freelance Science Writer and Multimedia Producer (2011 — present)
- Write and edit science, medicine, and technology stories for clients including the National Science Foundation, NPR, Harvard University, Tufts University, and the Woods Hole Oceanographic institution.
- Cover scientific fieldwork and oceanographic research cruises.
- Write and edit press releases and web copy.
Pellet Productions, Boston, MA
Science Editor (2011 — present)
- Research and develop new content for new web and broadcast video series (including two currently in production for the National Science Foundation).
- Produce on-location shoots, write scripts for finished segments.
Humongous Media, Boston, MA
Senior Writer (2012 — present)
- Write smart, irreverent scripts for one-minute web videos that demystify consumer technology. Clients include Panasonic, Amazon.com, Corel Software, and others.
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Dive & Discover Program, Woods Hole, MA
Dive and Discover Correspondent (2014)
- Spent one month aboard the R/V Atlantis covering resaerch at hydrothermal vents.
- Created daily print dispatches, photo slideshows, video clips, and edited interviews.
NOVA Online (WGBH), Boston, MA
Associate Producer (2006 — 2011)
Production Assistant (2004 — 2006)
- Hosted and produced weekly audio podcasts, growing listenership to 3.1 million annual downloads.
- Produced the NOVA Minute, a thrice-weekly science radio segment for 89.7 WGBH-FM.
- Wrote, produced and edited interactive web audio features and slideshows.
- Developed partnership with Gigapan.org to integrate leading-edge imaging technology into NOVA web content.
- Managed NOVA partnership with PRI’s The World to share cross-platform content.
- Conceived and directed NOVA web-only video pilot, Stump the Grad Student.
» ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCE
Oberlin College and Conservatory of Music, Oberlin, OH
Bachelor of Arts, May 2003
Double Major in TIMARA (Technology In Music And Related Arts) and U.S. History
»AWARDS AND HONORS
– National Center for Atmospheric Research journalism fellow (2010)
– Fine Outreach for Science fellow (2010)
– WHOI Ocean Science Journalism fellow (2009)
– Podcast.com Top 10 podcasts of the year (2007)
NOVA Online web team:
– Webby Awards Honoree (2010, 2007, 2006)
– Online Journalism Award finalist (2006)